Friday 24 October 2008

R.I.P. Book Six - The Book With No Name

This is a R.I.P. challenge read.

"Detective Miles Jensen is called to the lawless town of Santa Mondega to investigate a spate of murders. This would all be quite ordinary in those rough streets, except that Jensen is the Chief Detective of Supernatural Investigations. The breakneck plot centres around a mysterious blue stone - 'The Eye of the Moon' - and the men (and women) who all want to get their hands on it: a mass murderer with a drink problem, a hit man who thinks he's Elvis, and a pair of monks among them. Add in the local crime baron, an amnesiac woman who's just emerged from a five-year coma, a gypsy fortune teller and a hapless hotel porter, and the plot thickens fast. Most importantly, how do all these people come to be linked to the strange book with no name?
"

The Book With No Name was originally a series of regular instalments online (which may explain why the chapters are so short and why the character pov changes so often) before becoming a Lulu self-published book and finally getting a "real" publishing deal and going mass-market. Despite my best efforts, I've no idea who the actual author is, as the copyright says it's by The Bourbon Kid which is the name of one of the characters.

I digress. Again.

This book is not my usual sort of reading choice but then I suppose that that's what a book challenge is for - to push out the boundaries of your normal comfort zone. It's set in a forgotten town in South America (well that's what the internet tells me - whilst reading it, I thought it was somewhere in the USA!) that's filled with what I can only describe as outlaws.

The book is a fast-paced action with a casual approach to death, plenty of violence, buckets of blood, vampires, weird goings on and a cast of what feels like hundreds but is probably only in the tens. It feels a bit like it's paving the way for a TV series and it's peppered with in-jokes that tie into horror/thriller films. At times the style (especially the dialogue) is a bit clunky but the pace of the story allows you to brush over that and I remained interested to the end. Mainly because I was intrigued by the mass-murdering Bourbon Kid who has a very hard to pin down motive. I'd say that this is a fun read as long as you are willing to suspend belief and value plot over style.

I noticed that there is a recently published sequel although as there were not many characters from this book left alive to star in it though...

No comments: