Monday 2 June 2008

Favourite Author Meme

Oxford Reader has tagged me so here's my response!

1. Who’s your all-time favourite author, and why?
My stock answer to this one is Jane Austen and I see no reason to change that choice! Why? That's more difficult. Because I love her style, her stories, her observations, her phrasing and I can read and read and read her books over and over and over again. More on that shortly.

2. Who was your first favourite author, and why? Do you still consider him or her among your favourites?
My first favourite author. Hrmmm. The first book I remember reading to myself was by Johnny Morris and it was set in a zoo. I can't remember the title but I know it was hardback, brown and had a map if that helps! The author whose work I devoured was Enid Blyton and I read almost every series she wrote. My niece, who is nine, and I were discussing her works yesterday and we agreed, after some in-depth analysis, that The Faraway Tree series was very good indeed although still have a soft spot for the Naughtiest Girl and the Five Find-Outers books too. I would not consider her to be one of my favourite authors now though - I'm a bit old!

3. Who’s the most recent addition to your list of favourite authors, and why?
The most recent addition would be Kent Hanuf (see post here!) but this year I've also "discovered" Adele Geras, Maggie O'Farrell and Neal Stephenson. All of whom I hope to read more by! No pressure on Mr B but fingers crossed for the "birthday book pile"...

4. If someone asked you who your favourite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth? Are there any you’d add on a moment of further reflection?
Right now! Crumbs. Ummm... Jane Austen, Vikram Seth (as A Suitable Boy is one of my favourite books), Sebastian Faulks, Anothony Trollope, Iain M Banks, Neil Gaiman, Kazuo Ishiguro, Robert Graves, Douglas Adams, John Irving... This list could go on for a bit so I'll stop now!! There are several more authors that I could add, but I am excluding ones who I have only read one or two books by.

Obligatory tags go to:
Bookerina
Table Talk
B&b ex libris and
book-a-rama!

No pressure, but feel free to join in the fun!

1 comment:

GlassCurls said...

Yey for Jane! I've not read any Niel Gaiman, but I have a feeling I ought to!