Thursday 1 May 2008

Booking Through Thursday

Cripes - that time of the week already and (somehow) we're now into the fifth month of the year... Where on earth does the time go? I digress.

"Quick! It’s an emergency! You just got an urgent call about a family emergency and had to rush to the airport with barely time to grab your wallet and your passport. But now, you’re stuck at the airport with nothing to read. What do you do??"

My response depends on the length of time I am stuck and how urgent the family emergency is. I'm going to assume a crisis but not likely to be a fatal one. I am also going to pretend that I have not grabbed my ipod (with all my audiobooks!) or my mobile (with lots of games!). Perhaps I am reading too much into this...

I see I have a wallet to go with my passport so no need to go scouting bins for newspapers, which was my first plan! Second non-book plan was to hope I had my mobile with me as I could then play games on it. Surely this is an excellent excuse to pop into an airport shop and buy a nice new book (or if a good BOGOF then books)?

The only problem with airport shops is that unless they have a branch of a "proper" bookshop then it tends to be picking out the best of a bad bunch from a display next to the magazines. When we were in Detroit recently on a plane changeover Mr B bought Heart Shaped Box which was by far the best of a very poor selection, and enjoyed it. I was also pleased as it was on my "to buy" list and him buying it saved me some pennies. I am sure I could find something to read, even if it was a skim-read book that was only designed to get me through the wait at the airport and the journey. Of course, this is also the perfect time to pick up a trashy novel that you'd not normally be seen dead reading and blame it on the airport selection!!

If the choice was really, really dire then I'd also pick up a couple of newsy magazines I don't normally read (New Scientist type thing), maybe a small format newspaper and use it as an excuse to buy some Tech magazines too.

No comments: